Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Fluffing the Pillows

photo credit: NYMag
I have pillow issues. Since I spin like a helicopter in my sleep, finding a pillow that works for all positions is tough. It seems that I spend an inordinate amount of time each night, fluffing my pillows into the right position or flipping them to the cool side. When I do, then I get a measure of rest for a time ... until I need to do it again.

Hope is a little like that. We can't just obtain a pouchful of hope and then enter into the Lord's rest, all cares swept under the bed. Why? Because the world and this mortal existence keep squishing the hope flat. It takes maintenance. We have to be constantly renewing our hope, shaping it to the needs of the day and the trial. It's not a one-time thing. It's a daily endeavor.

"The daily work of the Lord involves changing hopeless to hopeful--for all of us. And it is for us to find at last that in the midst of winter we have within us an invincible summer. In a world filled with adversity we can reach for joy." (Elaine Cannon, April 1982 GC) 

2 comments:

  1. Such important truth in this post. Faith, trust and obedience are all ongoing and need continued renewal ~ but oh, the joy that fills our hearts when we take that action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, Jenna! What has helped you keep your hope fresh?

      Delete

Any hopeful thoughts to add?

A Prophet's Prayer